1.18.RC4 is a bug fix release but it’s got some goodies none the less. We’ve added a demo that shows you how to decode a video file, and save thumbnail images in pure Java. See DecodeAndCaptureFrames.
The big bug we fixed was that some users were having trouble installing and running Xuggler on Windows XP. And as a result we a have a big new feature in this release: our continuous build server automatically builds on XP, and for giggles, also builds a windows installer and uploads it when done. Check out here to see it in action. So if you find yourself wanting to live on tip of tree, but can’t be bothered to build on Windows, hopefully this helps.
One other big change: the xuggle-xuggler-red5 library is no longer included in our Windows installer — you’ll have to download it separately; sorry, it’s the price of automation. Plus, we’re going to decouple releases of it from xuggle-xuggler since they are completely independent. More on that in the next blog post (don’t worry; there’s a release of that today too).
Lastly, we got reports from users that libmp3lame 3.98.2 doesn’t work with the latest FFMPEG build, and confirmed it with the FFMPEG team; So for nwo we reverted to libmp3lame 3.98 which does work.
RC5 (sometime next week) will be a feature release again, but we’ve also got some encoding issues we’re hoping to fix for that. Get your feature requests in now.
The rest of the details follow.
- Issue 27: Windows: JVM crash for DecodeAndPlayVideo, DecodeAndPlayAudio or DecodeAndPlayAudioAndVideo
- Issue 42: Tests fail on java 1.5 32 bit on OS X
- Issue 41: ffmpeg producing “lame: output buffer too small” error
- Enhancement 39: Improve build instructions for Mac; Thanks to legege for providing the basis.
- Enhancement 7: Make Xuggler build create Maven POM files; RC3 created POM files, but RC4 now gives them, and our installer, names based on the actual version.
- New Windows node in our continuous build server.
- Windows builders that have makensis in their path can now autobuild installers on “ant stage”
- New demo showing how to decode video and take a PNG snapshot every 5 seconds
- Java Tests: 162 (+0)
- Native Tests: +0
Source Control Versions
Xuggle Version: 1.18.142.RC4
– Hudson Good Build
– Dynamic Revisions (From Hudson)
* svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/ffmpeg/trunk : 16853
* svn://svn.ffmpeg.org/mplayer/trunk/libswscale : 28358
* http://theyard.googlecode.com/svn/theyard/code/trunk/share/gnu/cxxtest/cxxtest-3.10.1 : 170
* http://xuggle.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/build/java : 137
* http://xuggle.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/java/xuggle-xuggler : 142
– Static Dependencies
* libmp3lame: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/lame/lame-398.tar.gz: 3.98
* libspeex: http://downloads.xiph.org/releases/speex/speex-1.2rc1.tar.gz: 1.2 RC1
On Windows, here’s what we built our installer with:
Mingw gcc/g++ 4.2.4: http://www.tdragon.net/recentgcc/
Java JDK 1.5
MSFT C++ Visual Studio 2005
NullSoft NSIS Installer 2.42
SWIG 1.3.36 modified with doc gen capabilities